Sunday, July 31, 2011

BLESS OR CURSE?

Today when I was cleaning my kitchen I found myself cursing its white tile floor. This wasn't the first time I had muttered under my breath some unpleasantry about a previous owner who had chosen white tile floors in a high-traffic kitchen. This unforgiving floor reveals every crumb and scuff mark. The floor may stay clean for an hour or two before a pet or person leaves some kind of trail.
Later, as I waited in my kitchen for water to boil, I looked down at the same floor I had cursed earlier in the day. A new revelation swept over me ~ perhaps these white tiles that I have been cursing for almost fifteen years are, in fact, a blessing in disguise. Because the floor shows every speck of dust and debris, I find myself cleaning it almost every day. I thought about how this one chore has given me a small daily workout as I have shuffled around on rags, scrubbing every nook and cranny.
That got me thinking. What else in my life have I seen as a curse? Could it possibly be a blessing in disguise? Let's start with a biggie, my health. I have had fibromyalgia for twenty years. The pain and fatique have immobilized me at times. I have grumbled countless times about the way it has impacted the quality of my life. But it has also pushed me in a positive direction. It's changed my perspective on life. It's made me more appreciative of the good days. It has motivated me to dramatically improve my eating habits, exercise routine, and stress management. In some ways, I am a healthier person as a result of this condition.
I can apply this revelation about curses and blessings in disguises in countless aspects of my life. My mind is reeling with one example after another of the hidden blessings in things I have been cursing. The circumstances aren't different; what's changed is how I am seeing them. Problems become opportunities when the bigger picture begins to unfold. And things that I have been cursing I can start to appreciate.
Curse the problem or look for the blessing? I am opting for the blessing!
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."   Romans 8:28     

No comments:

Post a Comment