Thursday, July 28, 2011

GIVE OR TAKE

How do I want to be remembered when my time on earth had passed? This is a good question for all of us to ask ourselves. It helps us to see if we are at least headed in the right direction. As I think about this question, I think of how I will remember others if they should leave this world before me. It seems easier to sum up their lives then it does my own.
After a few minutes of asking myself this question, it hit me ~ I want to be remembered as a "giver". I confess there is a selfish motive underneath. Truth be told, I find immense pleasure in giving. I would far rather go shopping for a gift than to buy something for myself. When I purchase something for myself, the feeling of pleasure over the purchase is so shortlived. Soon guilt creeps in over my unnecessary spending. But when I buy a gift for someone else, that pleasure over my purchase just keeps multiplying. I imagine their reaction and enjoyment over the gift. I picture the look on their face when they first open it. Although I am not the recipient of the item, I find that the purchase keeps giving and giving back to me.
It's not just material objects that apply here. I know how good I feel when I give my time to someone in need. When I give my time and energy to my husband, my kids, or a friend, the rewards multiply. On the other hand, the time I set aside for my own agenda is the reward in itself...there is no exponential growth of the blessing.
Yes, I want to be remembered as a "giver"! I want to give my time and meager talents away as a gift to those around me. I want to be extravagantly generous with my limited assets, reaping the joy of seeing the reactions of those on the receiving end. I want to be generous with my words ~ words that edify, encourage, build up, and empower others. I want to give the gift of companionship and happy memories to my husband. I want to give the gifts of good values, healthy living, and abundant life to my children and to their children. I want to GIVE, GIVE, GIVE and BLESS, BLESS, BLESS. In doing so, I am given so much...and blessed beyond measure.
I have my work cut out for me. I have so much to learn, so far to go to get to where I want to be. But today, I am going to begin by asking myself, "Who can I bless today? What can I give?" I can only imagine the joy I will receive in the process!
Now it's your turn to ask this life-changing question ~ How do you want to be remembered when you pass on? I would love to hear your answers.
"Always aim to show kindness and seek to do good to one another and to everybody."
~ I Thessalonians 5:15
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back."  ~ John Bunyan
          

No comments:

Post a Comment