Wednesday, July 27, 2011

IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!

Lately I have been forgetting to take my vitamins. Perhaps it's the change of pace that comes with summer. Whatever the reason, I am starting to reap the consequence of skipping my daily dose of vitamins, minerals, and omega 3s. I notice that my energy level is dropping. Mid afternoons I find myself longing for a nap. It is getting harder to push myself out the door for my daily walk. My thinking is growing fuzzy. And I am finding myself craving two things I know I should avoid ~ sugar and caffeine. Those are just the things I am aware of; I am more concerned about the effects I cannot see or feel. Am I possibly damaging my immune system? Inviting illness? Even shortening my life span?
The same holds true in my spiritual life as well. If I forget to spend time with God, if I neglect His Word, I find myself growing more and more apathetic. I lose my spiritual sensitivity. I grow weary more easily. My hope wanes. I begin to question my faith. My mood and my countenance suffer. I  begin to hunger for things I know are destructive.
The lesson for me is a no-brainer ~ be consistent is doing the right thing. Be faithful to nourish my body and my soul everyday. Don't wait until I feel like it or it's convenient.
Do it because I know it is good for me.
Time to sign off. I have a handful of vitamins to swallow, and a great BOOK to read!
"...God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset, melting ice, scorching deserts, warming hearts to faith...God's Word is better than a diamond, better than a diamond set between emeralds. You'll like it better than strawberries in spring, better than red, ripe strawberries."   ~Psalm 19:6,10 The Message   

No comments:

Post a Comment