Thursday, July 21, 2011

MIND GAMES

Today, I am deciding not to spend time wallowing in my negative emotions. Too much precious time is wasted in the company of depression, discouragement, regret, worry, and self-pity. I know that some emotions just have to run their course; many are very appropriate given the circumstances. But that doesn’t mean I have to give in to them or act upon them. Especially those that have no real reason to exist other than the fact that it’s just the way I feel.
When I feel a wave of negative emotions roll over me, I am going to picture my enemy placing before me a board game. If it’s regret I am feeling, I am going to name the game "REGRET". Now I have a choice. I can look at the game...I can think about playing the game...I can turn my back but still be entertaining thoughts about the game...or I can say "No" and walk away. My enemy may follow me and continue to taunt me, but I can keep making the choice to just walk away. Today, all of the games that the enemy sets before me, whether they be "DEPRESSION", "DISCOURAGEMENT", "WORRY", "SELF-PITY", or "REGRET", I am going to choose to turn my back and say "No" to the invitation to participate.
How about you? What are the "games" you wrestle with? Are you going to play? Or are you going to walk away? I hope you walk away and breathe in all the goodness the day holds for you!
"The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." Romans 8:6

No comments:

Post a Comment