Monday, July 25, 2011

MY ADDICTION

Okay, I admit it ~ I have an addiction. I know it's an addiction because I cannot get enough of it. I crave it constantly. I am always on the lookout for it. I think about it when I wake up each morning, and it is often the last thought I have before I fall asleep. I know I cannot live without it. Even now, as I am writing about it, my mind is racing about how badly I want my next fix. I would join a group to deal with it, but the truth is that my addiction is my lifeline. I don't want to give it up.
No, it's not chocolate. Not alcohol. Not drugs. Not anything that is popping into your mind as you read this. I am addicted to love; more specifically, God's love. I cannot get enough of it. I crave it everyday. It's what puts the spring in my step and the smile on my face.
My addiction isn't a result of neglect or abuse. I have a lot of loving, supportive people in my life. But let's face it...we are all imperfect people living in a fallen world. In other words, we are all human. We let each other down. None of us can love perfectly; only God has the ability to love this way.
I get frustrated at times with myself. Why can't I be a more loving person? Why can't I be a better friend, spouse, parent, daughter, and the list goes on. Why do the I see the good I can do, yet fail to do it? I also get upset with others. Why can't they be kinder? Why can't they be more thoughtful? Why can't they meet my needs?
Perhaps we love so imperfectly because God wants us to come to Him for the love and acceptance we crave. Afterall, if my husband could love me perfectly one hundred percent of the time, why would I need God?
The bottom line is that ONLY God can give us that ultimate, unconditional, agape, perfect love that we all crave. Only He can love like this. Only He can meet this need in all humans. God has graciously taught me this lesson over the years. Much of what I have learned has been through painful trials. But I can honestly say that I would not change a thing. The pain I have gone through has been a very small price for me to pay, in order that I might begin to experience the depth of God's love for me...for all of us.
Do you know this kind of love? Do you know the One who offers it freely? I hope so. If not, please let me introduce you. You may become addicted, too.

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge ~ that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullnes of God."    ~ Ephesians 3:17-19   

"Take a long, hard look. See how great He is ~ infinite, greater than anything you could ever imagine or figure out!"     Job 36:26, The Message

"At the very heart and foundation of all God's dealings with us, however dark and mysterious they may be, we must dare to believe in and assert the infinite, unmerited, and unchanging love of God."      L. B. Cowman           

No comments:

Post a Comment