Sunday, July 17, 2011

TERMINAL CONDITION

"Light, space, zest ~ that's God! So, with Him on my side I'm fearless, afraid of no one and nothing." ~ Psalm 27:1, The Message

All of us are terminal. No one can outlive death. One way or another, each of us will face that moment when we pass out of this earthly life and into the next. We are refugees; this is not our home. This can be difficult to fathom, because life on earth is all we have ever known by experience. We try not to think too much about our terminal condition until we are painfully reminded through the loss of a loved one or the diagnosis we receive from the doctor.
The good news is that those of us who have given our hearts and lives to Christ have a head and heart knowledge of the real life, eternal life, that awaits us. I must admit, death used to frighten me. It made me very uncomfortable and intensely sad. Now, I see it so differently. While I still want to cling to my loved ones for dear life and hope to avoid the experience of losing those I am closest to, I have the reassurance that death is a natural part of life. How freeing it is to know that death will usher us into eternity and into His presence... no more pain, sorrow, evil, worry, stress, heartache, loneliness, regret, exhaustion. Why fear this? Why dread it?
Let's face it...we are comfortable with what we know. Maybe we need to spend more time acquainting ourselves with what we have to look forward to in heaven. I believe that if we could get the smallest glimpse of what awaits us, we would be overcome with joy and anticipation. In the meantime, our journey here on earth is a treasure, and the people in our lives, a gift. For those of us who have lost a loved one, I love the analogy of a parent telling a dying child that, in heaven's timetable, they will blink and open their eyes to all those they love, right there beside them.
As for me, I have decided to enjoy each day I am given, and look forward to what awaits me for eternity.       

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."  ~C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment