Friday, July 29, 2011

WINNING IN THE GAME OF LIFE

I am beginning to realize that I can walk through my desert seasons as a whiner or a winner. When things aren't going the way I think they should ~ when I am knee deep in discouragement over a circumstance ~ when I am feeling overlooked or mistreated ~ when I am upset about a loved one ~ I have a choice. I can either whine and complain, or I can look for the nugget of gold waiting to be discovered. I have learned that, even in the worst of messes and heartaches, there is something good that can come out of it. I have also learned that when I am in the whining and complaining mode, I am not very likely to see it. Again...I have a choice. I can either stay focused on the problem and whine my way through, or I can look for the gift hidden in the trial.
I have walked both paths, so I speak from experience when I say that it is so much better to come out a winner than a whiner. I want to learn the lesson ~ get the new perspective ~ see the bigger picture. But I have to admit, my human nature resists. It loves to whine and complain. When I give in to it, I have to ask myself what I am missing out on when I take the path of whiner over winner.
I do not like trials. I avoid pain. I want only good things for my loved ones and  myself. But when problems and trials show up, I want to take the richer path. I want to reach and take hold of that gold nugget waiting to be discovered. Whine or win? It's my choice. Yours too.
"So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without His unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever."  ~ 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment