Wednesday, August 3, 2011

CREATIVE LIVING

"She shops around for the best yarns and cottons, and enjoys knitting and sewing. She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places and brings back exotic surprises." Proverbs 31, The Message I love the practicality of this chapter. Each passage is packed with sage advice that I can latch on to and apply in my own life. Is this verse telling me I should enjoy knitting and sewing? I don’t think so. I think it’s telling me to be creative in my endeavors as a wife and home manager. This verse counsels me to not settle for mediocrity. Its words tell me I should be thoughtful about my purchases, making the most of my resources. It exhorts me to stretch my dollar by knowing the best places to buy the items I need. This isn’t about being cheap. On the contrary; I think it frees me up to be generous. The more I save in my frugality, the more I have to share with others. I also notice that this woman doesn’t rush through her to-do list just to get things accomplished. Every decision, every purchase is carefully thought out and made for the welfare of her household. In a society spoiled by instant gratification, I love this verse because it reminds me to take the time to create something myself, whether it’s a meal I make from scratch, the vegetable garden I am trying to grow, or a fresh new look for one of the rooms in our home. I find there is such satisfaction in taking the time to do things  myself and then enjoying the fruits of my labor. I like food-to-go as much as the next person. But there is such pleasure and reward in taking the time to lovingly prepare a truly homemade meal for my family.
Bottom line? Don’t be in such a hurry to get things done for the sake of getting them crossed off my list. Give it my all. Be creative. Be frugal without being cheap. Give my best to my family and my household responsibilities. And don’t forget to enjoy the ride!
"Gaze into the faces of those you love, set the table with care, and relish the preparations you make for dinner, delighting in the presentation of your meal. Light the candles, pour wine or sparkling water in your prettiest goblets, and celebrate this new awareness. It is in the details of life that beauty is revealed, sustained, and nurtured." ~Sarah Ban Breathnach

No comments:

Post a Comment