Monday, August 8, 2011

THE ENTITLEMENT ERA

"She keeps an eye on everyone in her household, and keeps them all busy and productive." ~Proverbs 31

Everywhere I look, I see issues of entitlement. Some are quite subtle, others are blatant. But I don't see entitlement issues in the household of my role model. Quite the opposite. I see this woman training her family to know the value and reward of hard work and taking responsibility for yourself and your loved ones. What a concept! How sad that so many people are missing out on this. They think the easy way is the best way. They don't grasp why they should work for what they want when someone is willing to give it to them.
"You snooze, you lose" was a common saying in my house when I was growing up. It taught me that if I sat back and idly wait for good things to come my way, I was going to miss out big time. What a gift that lesson was for me! Sure, I like naps and vacations as much as anyone. But I love the payoff of persevering, working hard, and seeing my efforts come to fruition. There is nothing like it.
The generation (or population) of entitlement is being cheated of this. And, in cheating them, everyone gets cheated because of the unending rippling effect of the entitlement mentality. It's time to grab hold of what my role model knew ~ that you are really only handicapping and hurting people when you allow that entitlement thinking to take hold. It is far more loving to teach, by example, the joys, blessings, and rewards of a job well done. People, and society as a whole, would be so much healthier...physically, mentally, emotionally, relationally, and spiritually...if we said "NO MORE" to entitlement.
Time for me to sign off. There's work to be done!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."  ~Chinese Proverb      

No comments:

Post a Comment