Wednesday, August 17, 2011

EXTREME MAKEOVER

"God of all healing counsel! He comes along side us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us along side someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us."
2 Corinthians 1:3,4 The Message 

Yesterday I began to take a close look at the garments God has picked out for me to wear. I saw that the first underlying article of clothing he desires for me is compassion. Today, I realize I have overlooked the first crucial step in getting clothed ~ I have to get naked first! If I try to wrestle my way into an outfit when I am already dressed in something else, I am going to be mighty uncomfortable. And I am going to no longer appear genuine.
Today I strip off all the old layers I've been wearing for many years. UGH ~ as I do this, I can see how filthy and ugly they really are. I admit, I'm embarrassed. Who likes to get naked in front of an unseen audience? Not me! But I have to be willing to be vulnerable and expose myself if I want to be ready for my new wardrobe.
When I am stripped of the costume and mask I have been wearing, there are many scars that become visible to those who are looking. There may even be an open wound or two. But the scars are what I 've been trying so desperately to cover up. Not anymore. There are scars from wounds I suffered physically. Those are the least embarrassing. Then there are the scars from spiritual wounds, some of which were self-imposed. Keep looking and you will see the scars from emotional wounds. These are without doubt the ones I want to hide the most! But I can't. I need to get real if I am going to be able to fit into my new clothing.
You may be wondering what some of these scars really look like, and your curiosity may be frustrated when I don't hand you a magnifying glass so you can examine them up close. That's not what today's message is about. Today I simply reveal that there are many scars I have kept covered up.
Here's the kicker ~ I am finding that it's all of these scars that make the garment of compassion fit so beautifully. Without the battle wounds, this first garment would simply fall off of me. But the fabric of compassion seems to cling to me BECAUSE of my scars. How beautiful they are now looking! What used to embarrass me is taking on a whole new dimension. I don't have to wear those old tattered garments I was hiding under. I am freed up to let God slide the garment of compassion on me.
I've only begun the process, yet I am already excited about my extreme makeover.

"All the best transformations are accompanied by pain." ~Fay Weldon

"The body is a sacred garment. It's your first and last garment; it is what you enter life in and what you depart with, and it should be treated with honor." ~Martha Graham     

1 comment:

  1. Okay Julie!
    I am now proud to wear and expose my battle scars!
    Great post!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete