Thursday, August 4, 2011

FEED THE HUNGRY

"She’s quick to assist anyone in need, reaches out to help the poor." Proverbs 31, The Message

I have to take this verse to heart because the truth is, I am rich. Okay, not by Southern California standards, but in comparison to the rest of the world? Yes, I am very rich. I may drive an old car and buy my clothes at discount stores, but I have to realize how richly blessed I am if I want to put this verse into perspective and into practice. My car is pushing 200,000 miles, but I have a car that runs. My home is a one hundred year old bungalow with under 1400 square feet, but I have a comfortable place to live in a great neighborhood. I only buy clothes that are being sold at bargain prices, but my small closet is filled to the brim with outfits. My family never goes to bed hungry, cold, or scared.

That said, I know that having so much comes with a humbling responsibility to consider those less fortunate and to do my part. I am not referring to those who make the choice to sit back idly and expect handouts. I am burdened for the people who have no choices, no way out. It’s these people that tug on my heartstrings. Can I save the world? Of course not. Can I feed a hungry person? Of course I can. For me, it begins with one simple act. I find that if I ask who I can bless each day, I usually get an answer that is doable. No, I don’t have a lot of money to dole out. But I do have the desire to give what I can. When I get discouraged that I don’t have more to give, I remember the widow’s mite ~ she gave only pennies, but was said to have given more than the rich who far exceeded her humble gift. They gave out of their excess, while she gave all she had. Wow...I have so much to learn about the art of giving!

A friend shared with me that she buys McDonalds gift cards and hands them out when she sees someone who is in need. What a great idea! It encourages me to think outside the box and get more creative in my giving. But more important, I want to keep an open heart and hand that is always ready to share with a hurting world.


"Authentic success is accepting your limitations...discovering and calling forth your gifts and offering them to the world to help heal its ravaged heart. It’s making a difference in other lives and believing that if you can do that for just one person each day, through a smile, a shared laugh, a caress, a kind word, or a helping hand, blessed are you among women."
~ Sarah Ban Breathnach

"True greatness is not defined by what we get but what we give."
~ Author Unknown
 

No comments:

Post a Comment