Friday, August 12, 2011

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and will heal their land." ~2 Chronicles 7:14

My husband and I enjoyed a relaxing weekend in our local mountain community of Big Bear Lake. There was so much to savor during our short getaway. The best part of our weekend was spent sitting on the cabin's deck, surrounded by the beauty of the mountains. It was a much needed opportunity to share what was on our hearts and minds. One conversation centered around our country and the concerns we share for its future. We know we live in the greatest country in the world, and we are so grateful. But we can become easily consumed with worry over the direction we see it headed in, and we wonder what it will be like for future generations. Will they look back on this time in history and refer to it as "the good old days"? It is easy to become anxious about so many aspects of it, from the economy and jobs, to morals and values, to freedom and personal rights. With these issues in mind, we can find ourselves pointing fingers and placing blame on leaders.
This weekend, we decided to try to change our pattern of thinking regarding our country and the people who are running it. Instead of criticizing, cursing, and becoming fearful about the future, we are going to try to stop, pause, and pray. We are going to aim to lift up each leader and his or her family, pray for our nation, pray for each area of concern, and leave it with God.
I have a voice, and I use it at the polls. If someone asks me what I think about a person in office or an issue, I will answer honestly. But today, I want to try to break the cycle of cynical thinking, critical speaking, and pessimistic attitudes. It is a big challenge for me, but I will give it my best. When I catch myself thinking or speaking in a critical spirit, I will try to take it to God instead. Afterall, He alone has the power and wisdom to turn our country around, to prosper and heal it.
It starts right now...God, PLEASE bless America, this land that I love.

"All our worrying ~ even when done in the name of love ~ can accomplish absolutely nothing. But all our praying in the name of Jesus could entreat God to accomplish anything. When will we learn to turn our worry effort into prayer?" ~Beth Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment