Friday, August 5, 2011

LOVE LIFE

"She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows; their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear. She makes her own clothing, and dresses in colorful linens and silks. Her husband is greatly respected when he deliberates with the city fathers. She designs gowns and sells them, brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops. Her clothes are well-made and elegant, and she always faces tomorrow with a smile."  ~Proverbs 31 


I think it is easy to look at this passage and think, this doesn’t apply to me. I don’t even live in a climate where it snows. I don’t make my own clothes. I am not even much of a mender. And who cares if the clothes I wear are made of colorful, pricy fabrics? I certainly don’t design gowns or knit sweaters. I don’t know if my clothes are well-made, and I wouldn’t consider myself an elegant dresser. And by the way...what is that remark about the husband being so greatly respected doing smack in the middle of discussions about wardrobes? Hmm...

I have to dig deeper...I can’t just let it go at that! This woman keeps raising the bar on me! And yet, I still want to be just like her. So here we go ~ this woman takes such good care of her family and all of the details. She makes sure her family is well-equipped for whatever storms they may face. She takes responsibility for her own happiness and comfort. She also knows that she is a reflection of her husband and her household. She makes a point of carrying herself with poise and class. Because she is so attentive to detail, her household runs as smooth as silk. This, coupled with the way she presents herself to the public world adds to the respect heaped onto her husband. And I'm sure it helps that she creates such a peaceful, enjoyable atmosphere at home. Let’s face it...the woman pretty much sets the tone in the home. This has to impact the countenance of her husband and the way he conducts himself when he is out in the world. If that isn’t enough, he probably enjoys the added benefit of a wife who has talents and uses them to prosper her family.


I love the last line in this passage. This woman has such peace and satisfaction, "she always faces tomorrow with a smile". Does it get any better than that? She loves her life! She does every task with a smile on her lips and song in her heart because she loves what she does. I am sure she has her bad days. But my guess is that those are few and far between. I think she could win an award for Best Attitude. I can just picture her greeting each day with passion and enthusiasm. This is how I want to live my life!

"We are all given a choice each day. We can react negatively to the demands made on us or we can choose to live abundantly, to transform the negative into the meaningful. Attitude is all. If I do not endow my life and my work with meaning, no one will ever be able to do it for me. If I don’t recognize the value of what I am doing here in this living room, certainly no one else can. And if homecaring is not sacred, then forgive me, for I truly have no conception of the Divine."~ Sarah Ban Breathnach

1 comment:

  1. I truly believe this woman (or profile of) is a mix of many different virtuous women. We all are gifted with meaningful characteristics, given by the same precious father.
    I ENJOY THIS BLOG SO VERY much!!!!!!!
    Thank you for sharing Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete