Friday, August 26, 2011

MY KITCHEN REMODEL

"Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, 'I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you.'"  ~Hebrews 13:5 The Message

This past year my sister got a completely new kitchen. It's gorgeous. Walls were torn down to create a "great room", and the result is stunning. I was so happy for her. But I have to be honest ~ I was also a bit envious.
I went home after seeing her new remodel and took a good, hard look at my own kitchen. It's silly, but I wanted to cry. Everywhere I looked I saw "old", "outdated", "dysfunctional". I also began to see the possibilities. If one small wall were to be removed, my kitchen would become a very open and airy space.
My husband isn't a mind-reader, but this time, he seemed to know my thoughts and desires. He tenderly told me that I deserved a new kitchen after all the years of sacrificing for our four kids. He told me he would find a way to get me my dream kitchen. I was so elated! We began to shop around for appliances, and spent hours leafing through books and magazines to find just the right look for our home. We decided to begin in early summer.
By the time June rolled around, our one hundred year old bungalow cried out for attention of its own. Our entire plumbing had to be redone. Seventeen trees had to be removed. Major car expenses piled up. I slowly watched as my dream kitchen went down the drain.
My husband continued to talk about the remodel, but I could see his stress level going up as he tried to justify a huge expense after a series of costly repairs. I grew concerned as I watched him come home exhausted from working so hard to try to scrape together extra money. Suddenly, a nw kitchen just didn't matter all that much.
Today I see my kitchen through lenses of love. My husband was willing to work even harder to make my dream a reality. But the kitchen I have today reminds me that it's the people, not possessions, that make life so rich and enjoyable. I am so grateful: for my husband and his big heart, and for my kitchen that enables me to create meals and treats for my loved ones. I guess it was just my perspective that needed an overhaul. My kitchen works just fine.

"Happiness consists not in having, but of being, not of possessing, but of enjoying. It is the warm glow of a heart at peace with itself."  ~Norman Vincent Peale      

No comments:

Post a Comment