Thursday, August 4, 2011

A NEW DAY

"She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast for her family and organizing her day. She looks over a field and buys it, then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden. First thing in the morning, she dresses for work, rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started. She senses the worth of her work, is in no hurry to call it quits for the day. She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking."
 
Can’t you just feel her sense of purpose, pleasure, and enjoyment in everything she does? My impression of this passage is that she can’t wait to begin her day. She eagerly throws herself into the tasks that await her attention. She seems to love her life! This isn’t a wimpy homemaker...this is a business woman who knows how to balance home and work. Perhaps it’s because the two seem to overlap so beautifully in her life. This is the true Martha Stewart before Martha Stewart ever existed! The big difference that I see between the original and the modern day Marthas is their focus. Clearly, the original Martha got her ultimate pleasure and satisfaction from her walk with God. I think this is the hearbeat of all of her hard work and accomplishments. Before Colossians was ever written, this woman was living its words ~ "Let every detail in your lives~words, actions, whatever~be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God every step of the way."

 Let’s be honest...we can all grow in this area. I know I have a lot to learn. I do get out of bed, eager to greet the day. But I can certainly learn to enjoy the process more, especially the mundane chores that eat up much of my time. I think it begins with a spirit of gratitude. I am thankful that I am home, able to tend to the needs of my household. Some days it may feel like a burden, but in truth, it’s a blessing. I can learn to look upon each task with enthusiasm and a grateful spirit. I get to be the one to care for the many blessings in my life ~ a family, a home, a garden, a car...the list goes on and on.

For me, it starts with prayer. Thank you God for this home and all who occupy it. Thank you for health, and time, and strength to tend to it. Thank you for Your presence as I go about my work day. And my list of thanks goes on and on...

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."  Colossians 3:23

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend."    ~Melody Beattie


Proverbs 31

No comments:

Post a Comment