Saturday, August 13, 2011

PAST OR PRESENT

"This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it." ~Psalms 118:24

Our home has an attic that runs the entire length of our house. The temptation to pile things upstairs has resulted in wall to wall boxes of everything imaginable. I recently began the daunting task I'd been putting off for years...sorting through each box and paring down on the amount of accumulated stuff.
One of the boxes I opened was filled with page after page of journal entries, dating back to the early nineties. Curiosity got the better of me and I began reading through each page, reliving moments I had forgotten about. After an hour or so of reminiscing, I noticed that the words written years ago were digging up memories that I really didn't want to revisit. I decided that I wasn't going to read any more.
Now what? These pages told a part of my history. Would there come a day when I would want to revisit them? What if someone else stumbled on the box and read them? Would it be an uplifting experience for any of us? When I pondered this question, the answer was clear. I carried the heavy box and all of the baggage it contained and headed for the shredder. As I watched each page get swallowed up by the machine, I felt a little lighter and freer.
The past is just that. That afternoon, I realized I didn't want to cheat myself out of one moment of the present by going back in time. I guess it's true ~ you can't savor the here and now if you're focused on what's been and gone.
The attic will have to wait for another day to get organized. I am planning to enjoy this day!

"Our time here on this earth is so short. What a shame it would be to allow something that happened in the past ~ whether it was twenty years ago or twenty minutes ago ~ to ruin the rest of this day...God let go of the past. The question is: Will you let go? Will you quit remembering what God has chosen to forget?...Let your attitude be, I'm forgetting what lies behind and I'm pressing forward. In other words, I'm throwing away my rearview mirror. I'm not looking back anymore. I'm not looking to the left or to the right. I'm looking straight ahead. I'm pressing forward, knowing God has good things in store for me....Get rid of the baggage and start focusing on your possibilities. Let hope fill your heart. Your future can start today. No matter what you've been through, no matter how difficult it was, God is saying there are great days ahead for you."  ~Joel Osteen   

No comments:

Post a Comment