Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SEEK FIRST!

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

"Seek first" sounds like such a simple practice. Surely I can seek Him first thing in the morning while my head is still on the pillow. I can begin my day in prayer and praise. Seek first!
But here's how I begin most days: wake up, seeking cleanliness (brush my teeth, take a shower)...seeking comfort (get dressed, make myself presentable)...seeking food (make my coffee and breakfast)...seeking order (feed the pets, walk the dog, get ready for my work day, tidy the house)...seeking connection with others (call or text my hubby and check my emails)...and eventually I may get around to seeking Him.
Still, I hear the calling...seek first...but not as a hard and fast law I must follow. I realize my days go so much smoother when I have my priorities in order. That's why I think He says to seek Him first. It's not to put another burden on my time or a guilt trip on my spirit. And let's face it...I will have the same problems arise during the day whether or not I seek Him first. God knows how much I am going to need Him and His perspective if I want to get the most out of each day. He also knows that I don't really live this truth on a daily basis, and so He gently reminds me, "Seek Me first".
What am I going to seek first today...and tomorrow? Personal comfort? Order in my household? How much of my day will be consumed by these other things? I am willing to wager that the majority of my personal frustrations are rooted in the fact that I am not placing Him first in the order of my day. I am seeking the wrong things first, and giving far too little time and attention to God and other people.
Before I get caught up in the activities and distractions of the day, I want to learn to seek Him first. I want to begin each day at His feet ~ in worship...in prayer... listening expectantly...giving Him my cares...choosing His perspective, priorities, and plans over my own...coming clean...soaking in His light and goodness. Seek first. I want it to be as natural as breathing, more important than my daily food. Seek first!

"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither." 
~C.S. Lewis

"My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up."  ~Psalm 5:3         

No comments:

Post a Comment