Sunday, August 21, 2011

WHAT A WASTE REVISITED

"Each of us will give an account of himself to God." ~Romans 14:12

It's been ten days since my family began the experiment of writing down every food item we throw away, along with its monetary value. If you didn't read my blog about this, you can find it under my August entries, "WHAT A WASTE". I am fortunate that my family shares my newfound passion to curb the waste. There's also the fact that we are wealthy enough to be in a position of having a surplus of food to throw away. We just don't feel okay about it anymore.
These first ten days have been a real eye-opener. We have given so much more thought to what we are buying and the meals we are planning. That said, our list of discards is still embarrassingly long. When I add it up, it only comes to about fifteen dollars. But multiply that by three to cover an entire month, and you get almost fifty dollars. Ugh...and this is when we are being so careful! Time to turn it up a notch. For the remainder of the month, we are going to double the dollar value of every food item tossed, keeping in mind our pledge to give this money to the homeless.
Why are we doing this? Because there's a hungry, hurting world out there. I was shocked when I heard the statistics on the number of kids that die DAILY of starvation. We are also tired of spending hard earned money on food that feeds the trash can. Here's the bottom line: one day we will give an account for our lives. I know that I don't want to be hanging my head in shame because I didn't respond to the conviction to make a change and curb the waste. I want to be a better steward.
I encourage you to hop on board with our experiment. Sure, it takes extra time and thought. But I can see it already paying off in my own family. The four of us living under this roof can make a very small difference. But if one, two, five, or ten families join in this challenge, think of the rippling effect it could have. There's a hungry world out there.       

"Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression." ~Karen Horney

"Waste neither time nor money, but make the best use of both." ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment