Sunday, September 4, 2011

HEADS UP!

"A mother's happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories." ~Honore de Balzac

Those of you who have been in my kitchen have probably noticed a piece of patched glass in my garden window. If you have known me a long time, you also probably know that this window has been broken for almost fifteen years. Recently, I was watching the Home and Garden Channel while dusting the living room, and the host was repairing a broken window much like the one in my kitchen. I paused and watched in amazement at the simplicity and low cost of the repair. Why had I put up with this broken window all these years when a quick fix was all it needed?
But everytime I see that patched window, my mind travels back in time to that Thanksgiving afternoon fourteen years ago. I had sent our kids outside to play so that my husband and I could focus on preparing the meal. This would be our first time hosting Thanksgiving in our new home. I was mixing up a double portion of stuffing when I heard our son yell, "Heads up!" Before I knew what was happening, a green tennis ball came flying through the kitchen windowpane and landed in one of the bowls of stuffing. Our kids came rushing in with expressions that told me they were a bit fearful of what awaited them. I looked at my husband, then at them ~ all sweaty and out of breath from playing ~ rolled my eyes and said, "At least I made a double portion!" Relief swept over their faces. We dug the tennis ball out of the stuffing bowl, cleaned up the broken glass, and my husband patched the window while I carried on with the dinner preparations.
So ~ why does the window remain broken today? Maybe it's because I still smile inside and out when I stop and look at that patched glass. Memories of when our kids were younger come flooding back. Time has flown by so quickly, and it's the memories that we carry with us that allow us to relive those precious moments over and over. Every morning when I am at the sink filling the carafe to make my first cut of coffee, I see that patched window and I am thankful for the memory of our first Thanksgiving meal here. A broken window seems a small price to pay for the countless times that memory has brought a smile to my face.

"Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens."  ~1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18, The Message       

No comments:

Post a Comment