Sunday, September 25, 2011

LOVE STORY, PART NINE

"Love never gives up. Love cares for others more than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn't force itself on others, isn't always 'me first', doesn't fly off the handle, doesn't keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, takes pleasure in the flowering of the truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end."
~ 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

People who say that attitude is everything are so right! Two people can be living with the same circumstances ~ one is miserable, the other beaming with joy. What makes the difference? Their attitude and their focus. I have heard it often said that you may not be able to change your circumstances, but you can always adjust your attitude.

I have a choice. I can be a negative person who focuses on my problems and everyday frustrations. Or, I can be positive, recognizing and celebrating all that I have to be thankful for, "always looking for the best" in every situation. One makes you miserable, the other joyful. I don't know about you, but I want the joy.

"Never looks back" tells me to press on. It says to shed the weights of regret, shame, guilt, disappointment, and injuries ~ and step into freedom. Wow! This is worthy of my time and attention. The enemy of our souls LOVES (not agape love!) to keep us looking back, wishing we could do things over. He prods us to beat ourselves up over our bad decisions. He wants us fixating on the hurt that has been inflicted upon us.

But God says, "NO MORE!" "LET IT GO!" "Stop listening to the voices of the past!" Afterall, most of them are lies, or at best, distortions of the past. God has His hands open wide ~ they are huge...big enough to hold everything that has been burdening amd haunting us. It's just a choice ~ here, God...take it ALL. I don't want to carry this anymore. You can carry it for me.

And here's the best part ~ when we place it all into His hands, He looks at it, so small and insignificant in His big powerful hands, and He casts it away. It's gone for good. He looks us in the eye and smiles. He's been waiting for us to unload these burdens for so long. And now that we have, the windows and doors to our hearts and souls are opened wide for His agape love to come flowing in.

Our part is to stay in step with Him, remain close to His side, and keep moving down Agape Lane until we get "to the end". What freedom awaits us!

"Every breath is an opportunity to receive and let go. I receive love and I let go of pain."
~Brenda MacIntyre      

No comments:

Post a Comment