Wednesday, September 14, 2011

REST UP!

"Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop." ~Ovid

My list of things I'd like to accomplish today seems a mile long ~ dusting and vacuuming...laundry and yard chores...grocery shopping and meal planning...gifts to purchase and cards to send ~ yet here I sit, sequestered on my couch, trying hard to follow the doctor's orders. Bed rest. What woman hasn't shuttered at those two seemingly benign words? Wait a minute ~ I have far too much to do!

But maybe there's a gift here, if I will only put aside my to-do list and look for it. Maybe what has appeared as an attack on my health is really an avenue that God is using to get me to slow down and give myself completely to the things that matter most. Will the world stop revolving if my house goes uncleaned? Of course not. Will my family go hungry if I can't run to the market and prepare a meal? I doubt it. Will neighbors complain if the weeds in my yard grow another inch? I hope not!

On the other hand, can I be a blessing to someone if I use this time to amp up my devotional writing? Possibly. Can I minister to someone in need by covering them in prayer, and making a phone call to say I care? Absolutely. Will one minute be wasted as I devour and study God's word? Not a chance!

My dog is cuddled up next to the couch, snoring contentedly. Wonderful silence calms my spirit as I readjust my focus and my attitude. Outside, birds chirp merrily in my garden, bringing a smile to my face. Today is a good day! Who knows, maybe it's even better because I am forced to stay quiet. Another week of bed rest no longer sounds frustrating or confining. Who knew that limitations would actually be this freeing? If you need me, you can find me nestled on my couch...doctor's orders!

"Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty."  ~Psalm 91:1   

No comments:

Post a Comment