Friday, September 23, 2011

WELCOME AUTUMN

"No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one Autumnal face."
~John Donne

Today is Autumnal Equinox, when summer gives way to fall. Today is one of two days out of the year when the hours of day and night are equal. From now on a shift occurs ~ daytime shortens, and the skies darken earlier with each passing day.

In our household, today ushers in the season of "holidays". Pumpkins, gourds, scarecrows, and colorful leaves will adorn our home for the next two months. I love these seasonal artifacts. They are more than just homey decorations. To me, they are a tangible reminder of my own personal harvest of blessings. There's so much to be thankful for, and this season carries that theme of thankfulness all through the holidays.

Indian summers still await us. We will have our share of warm, summery weather. But, before long, I will find myself nestled by the fireside, a good book or pen and pad in hand. The cherished aromas of pumpkin pie, roast turkey, and a host of other autumn treats will fill our home.

Welcome, Autumn! You are a refreshing change from the sleepy days of summer. Dazzle me with your breathtaking fall foliage, crisp night air, and tasty treats.

Boxes filled with fall decor on our dining room table await me. It's time to jump in and enjoy the transformation of seasons. Who knows? Maybe I will even bake a pie. Pumpkin or apple?

"Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer an oil painting, and autumn a mosaic of them all."
~Stanley Horowitz         

No comments:

Post a Comment