Wednesday, October 5, 2011

BEST SELLER

"For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power (making it active, operative, energizing, and effective); it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and (the immortal) spirit, and of joints and marrow (of the deepest parts of our nature), exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thought and purposes of the heart."
~Hebrews 4:12 (Amplified Version)

There is nothing like a good book on a gray, rainy day like today. I love to cozy up by the fireplace with my coffee in one hand, my favorite book in the other. The sound of the rain dropping in a rhythmical pattern is soothing to my spirit, a perfect accompaniment to my favorite read.

Truth be told, I find that this favorite book of mine beckons me to open its covers in any weather condition, and at any time of the day or night. This book entertains me. It challenges and stretches me. It teaches and counsels me. It uplifts and encourages me. It brightens my mood. It even comforts and strengthens me. How many books can you say this about? For me, only one fits the bill.

I first began to read this book after my dad's death. I was struggling with so many emotions that were foreign to me but that naturally follow the suicide of a loved one. There were so many questions swimming around in my mind, but no one seemed to have any answers. The pain and the guilt I wrestled with were paralyzing at times, and no counselor had adequate words to soften the hurt.

Then I found it ~ a book that seemed to have a power and life of its own. I spent hours during that dark season of my life pouring over its words, trying to make sense of it. It felt as if I was reading a "magical" book written in another language. So why did I keep reading it? Because everytime I held it in my arms, a peace and a comfort washed over me that I could not find anywhere else. It became my lifeline.

Months later, I joined a study, hoping to get a better understanding of the words that filled the pages. It wasn't long before I realized what I really needed was to know the Author of this dear book. I gave my life to Jesus and invited his Spirit to come in and take up residence.

Who would have thought that one little prayer would open up my mind to understand this book? But that is just what happened. The words that had read like a foreign language now made perfect sense, and I couldn't get enough of it.

I still can't! Everyday I look forward to opening it up and beckoning it to speak to me. It never ceases to guide, instruct, exhort, and benefit me. Sure, there are days when it sits on my coffee table, unopened. Those are the days I cheat myself out of a nugget or treasure that God was wanting to give me.

If you are like I was, unable to really understand the words and messages of the longest standing bestseller, the Bible, may I encourage you today? It's such a simple prayer that will open your eyes to a whole new world ~ Lord, I want to know you. I want a relationship with you. Would you please come in and reveal yourself to me? I invite your Spirit to come and fill me. Speak to me through your Word.

Now, isn't that the fastest way to learn a new language? Sorry Rosetta Stone ~ you don't hold a candle to this method. If you have a Bible, why not open it? Try reading it with an open heart and mind. If you don't own one, I suggest you buy a study Bible. It will help you get a better grasp on the history and context in which it is written. The Bible comes in different versions...see which version is the most readable for you. I like the New International Version.

It's a perfect day to curl up with a good book. Happy reading! And if you are a new member of this life-changing book club, WELCOME!

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit."
~1 Corinthians 2:14

"Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own."
~William Hazlitt              

No comments:

Post a Comment