Monday, October 31, 2011

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

"Backward, turn backward,
O Time, in your flight
Make me a child again
Just for tonight!"
~Elizabeth Akers Allen

Okay...this isn't my all-time favorite holiday, but I do enjoy many things about it. As a mom, I cherish the memories of helping our kids get dressed into their constumes, pretending to be something outrageous or humorous. I love to see the parade of children that make their way to our door for their treats. From carving pumpkins, to decorating our porch with bats and black cats, to the endless supply of sugary sweets that stream through our home ~ I get a kick out of this day. Perhaps it's just that it brings out the child in me.

I'm not sure how the tradition of wearing costumes came into play, but I think it's interesting that even adults embrace this oppotunity to shed their identities and become someone or something totally out of character. I am giggling to myself as I recall my many costumes over the years. As I reflect back, I realize it wasn't just about the exterior. I also remember how the costumes made me feel inside. Some brought out a silly side, while other costumes seemed to bring a whimsical sense of mystique or charm.

Maybe that's why, as adults, we still jump at the chance to get dressed up on Halloween. Perhaps it has less to do with the costume and how we look, and more to do with how we feel on the inside. Who doesn't relish an opportunity to assume a new identity for a few hours out of the year, especially when the persona you become is one of choice.

This gets me thinking ~ what about the other 364 days in the year? Do I ever wear masks to hide my true self, my true feelings, my true thoughts? Do I let myself be coerced into putting on a mask that is a contradiction to who I am and what I believe? How often do I let people see the real me?

Those questions are altogether too serious for this day. Today, it's all about getting into a fun mindset, having a generous spirit, and celebrating the children that dwell inside each costume. Here's to a safe, fun-filled, blessed Hallow's Eve...

"Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, 'Tonight is Halloween!'"
~Dexter Kozen          

No comments:

Post a Comment