Monday, October 10, 2011

HAVE A GOOD DAY

"This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
~Psalm 118:24

Somedays I have to talk myself into having a better day. I have to put aside my gloomy feelings, the frustrating circumstances, and the worries that have taken residence in my thought life, and look for the positives. Yesterday was one of those days.

I had been wrestling with a weight of discouragement since my eyes opened yesterday morning. Health issues sapped me of all energy, and the gnawing discomfort in my body was only worsening my mood. Although I tried to fight it, I found myself sinking into a dark hole.

But I couldn't let myself stay there. So I headed outside to our backyard sanctuary to commune with nature and have a heart to heart with the One who has unlimited peace to give. Just as I nestled into my favorite lounge chair and began to focus on the sweet sounds of the birds chirping, my peaceful haven was abruptly interrupted by the loud growls of our neighbor's motorcycle. I told myself that the rumbling noise would soon make an exit. My disappointment grew when I realized that  my neighbor was working on the motorcycle, not taking it for a joy ride. Ugh...

Some days are like this.  They seem intent on keeping us down. We try to move in a healthier direction. We try to drown out the negatives and zoom in on the positives. We do our best to minimize the hard stuff that is making us weary. Then along comes a snag ~ an interruption that seems to have the sole purpose of stealing our peace...and our joy.

It turned out to be a beautiful morning. The branches of the pine trees swayed gently for my entertainment, while the sunlight danced upon their green needles. The expanse of blue sky above me helped wash away the affects of a rough start to my morning. I thought about my mother's sage words, "This too, shall pass...", one of her favorite lines when I was growing up, and thought, it's so true ~ the dark moments don't last forever.

The gentle movement of air around me was refreshing, and I breathed it in, knowing that each breath, each day, is a gift...even the days that don't seem to be in my favor. I realized I didn't have to let my health ruin every aspect of my day. My circumstances didn't change as the day progressed, but still, I was glad to be here... and be a part of it.    

By the way, today was a much better day. And tomorrow? Well, I will leave that in God's hands.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
~Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment