Wednesday, December 14, 2011

GIFTS TO MYSELF

What a stack of blessings you have piled up for those who worship you, ready and waiting for all who run to you to escape an unkind world."
~Psalm 31:19, The Message

My husband and I have a Christmas tradition between us that has lasted our twenty-five years of marriage. To save him the time and energy, I buy my own gifts, even wrapping and placing them under our tree. He is spared the stress of trying to find the right items, and I get exactly what I am needing or wanting.

This year, the gifts I'd like to give myself cannot be found at the mall or purchased online. No, these gifts come from a much higher source, and are of greater value than any price tag found in a store.

I want to give myself the gift of letting go ~ of bad memories, mistakes from the past, my failures and shortcomings as a wife and mom, and unrealistic expectations. I want to let go of unhealthy habits, negative thinking, and beating myself up.

I want to give myself the gift of forgiveness and compassion ~ for myself and for others. I want to put to rest any and all grudges I am holding. I want to remove those dusty old lenses of resentment, and replace them with eyes that sparkle with unconditional love and acceptance.

I want to give myself the gift of celebration. Instead of being weighed down with all that is going wrong in my life...my family's lives...the world...I want to focus on all that is good and right. I want to jump and sing and rejoice over all that I am blessed with, and all the beauty that surrounds me.

I want to give myself the gift of friendship. I want to allow myself permission to step out of my little world and enjoy fellowship with good friends. I want to give myself the gift of time to set aside my cares and responsibilities at home and invest in the lives of my friends.

I want to give myself the gift of good old fashioned fun and laughter. I want to learn to set aside the serious stuff of life for a little time each day and just relax. I want to know the joy of lightening up, and doing things simply because they are fun!

I can't run to the mall to purchase my gifts this year. Instead, I can look up and seek the ultimate Gift-Giver. Here's my list, Lord. Afterall, He IS the Giver of all good things.

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
~Ruth Ann Schabacker     

No comments:

Post a Comment