Wednesday, January 11, 2012

ENJOYING THE RIDE

"Life isn't a destination, it's a journey. We all come upon unexpected curves and turning points. Everything that happens to us shapes who we are becoming. And in the adventure of each day, we discover the important things in life and why they are important."
~Author Unknown

"Life is like a rollercoaster. You can either scream every time there is a bump or you can throw your hands up and enjoy the ride."
~Author Unknown

I am not a fan of roller coasters. The rush of speed and unexpected turns that used to thrill me and leave me breathless only makes me queasy and shaky in my older age. So I avoid them at all costs. No amount of coaxing can entice me to put myself through this unwelcome experience.

This truth makes the roller coaster I have found myself riding all the more unnerving. For the past year, I've been on a ride called "Hormones Gone Awry" that has put my patience, my sanity, and my relationships to the test.

An unknown tumor didn't help matters. It only added to my symptoms and the overall drama, at times making it nearly impossible to leave my home for days at a time.

This is where the miracle of modern science stepped in. My surgery last fall freed me of my annoying, painful symptoms that were telling me something was wrong. At the same time, the procedure robbed me of the part of my anatomy that produces the hormones my body was craving more of.

Again, modern science rose to the occasion with a small patch I can wear topically. This patch, which I wear faithfully, provides me with the hormones I have been needing. Slowly, I find my patience...my sanity...and my relationships being restored.

Here's what this journey has taught me ~
~ our bodies, minds, and spirits are very intertwined...when one part is out of whack, the other parts suffer
~ I need to be careful to not react to others who are abrupt, or impatient, or unfriendly...they may be dealing with something similar and I don't need to take it personally
~ I have to take care of myself...if I don't, I am no good to anyone else
~ I need to listen to my own body and to other people when I get the message that I am not myself and that something is not right
~ compassion for others...and myself...is key, and I now have a heartier dose to give!

Thanks to the gift of modern medicine, the ups and downs and unexpected twists and turns have calmed significantly. And when they do hit, they don't pack the devestating punch they used to. I now go through most days with a restored sense of well being and my moods reflect it. The steady pace of "It's A Small World" has replaced the "Space Mountain" ride I was on.

What ride are you on today? Maybe you are on an unwelcome rollercoaster like I was. Maybe your ride is scary, or packed full of adventure. Maybe it seems more like a spectator sport. Whatever it looks and feels like, my hope is that you learn...and grow...and stretch yourself...and get help if you need it! And ultimately, I hope that you are enjoying the ride.

"Life is good when you see the good in life."  ~Author Unknown

"Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth." ~Martin H. Fischer

"The truth is you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride."
~Author Unknown
  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment