Monday, January 23, 2012

EVERYTHING CHANGES

"Change always comes bearing gifts."  ~Price Pritchett

"There's far more than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever." 
~2 Corinthians 4:18, The Message

This year is ushering in many changes for me and my family. Normally I am a girl who loves change. To get my needed "fix" for a little change, I will rearrange furniture or get a new haircut. Sometimes the change is more dramatic. Although the whole process is a bit grueling, the truth is that I love to move. A change in address thrills and excites me. It bombards my senses with the views from the windows, to the squeeks of its floors, to the scent of each room. 

I suppose it's a blessing that I love change so much. Let's face it ~ change is the one thing we can expect as we journey through this life. Some changes are gut-wrenchingly painful, and we avoid them at all costs. But others can enlighten, invigorate, teach, and motivate us to reach new heights and explore new territories.

Like I said ~ this year is going to be packed full of changes. I find myself excited, but also a bit anxious. How will I feel as I watch our only daughter enter into marriage and a new life, possibly far away from here? What emotions will I wrestle with when we talk on the phone and she has had a bad day? What will it be like to walk into her room to face the emptiness and the quiet? I don't know.

As our daughter moves away, we will likely face the same experience ourselves. As we gear up for a possible move of our own, I will spend the next year sorting, organizing, and paring down on our possessions. This too will be an emotional journey as I reminisce over items saved since our children were little. How do I part with their artwork...their gifts and cards to us...their favorite toys?  

As I bring my years of teaching and tutoring to a close, more attention will be given to my writing. This is a positive change, but also an emotional one. Writing is never simply about putting words onto paper. For me, there's always an emotional component involved.

They say too much change at once ~ even good change ~ can be very stressful. So I take in a deep breath and remind myself that whatever the changes bring, one thing always remains constant. This is my lifeline...my strength...and my hope. Without a close walk with God, I think that the changes on the horizon would overwhelm me.

Whatever unfolds in the coming year, I know that the most important thing I can do is to stay focused on Him. As a ship captain focuses on the lighthouse that's guiding him rather than the choppy seas surrounding him, I must do the same. If I don't, I may find myself drowning in the emotions that the many changes will bring.

Whether we like it or not, change is inevitable. Everything changes...except Him. And there lies my greatest peace.

"Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights."  ~Pauline R. Kezer

"If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change."  ~John A. Simone, Sr.

"Change is inevitable ~ except from a vending machine."  ~Robert C. Gallagher

"Jesus doesn't change ~ yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself." 
~Hebrews 13:8, The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment