Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past."  ~Isaiah 43:18

Today we welcome in a new year, putting the old one to rest. Today is the day many of us create our list of resolutions for the coming twelve months. Some scoff at the idea. Others feel a weight of discouragement over the previous year's broken resolutions.

I personally love New Year's Day. In fact, it might be my favorite day of the year. This is the day that I purposefully put to rest the things from the past year that have weighed heavily on me ~ bad decisions, personal failures, and lost opportunities. I make this day my "clean slate day". Why I do this only once a year is beyond me. But it certainly makes this day on the calendar all the more sacred and appreciated.

With the past year's failures packed away, I am freed up to ponder my hopes and aspirations for this new and exciting year. The next twelve months hold so much possibility! As I let my imagination take flight, I see gifts surrounding me and my loved ones, sent straight from the throne of God, just waiting to be opened and discovered. Some will be more welcomed than others. Some will contain life lessons cloaked in less attractive wrappings. Others will take our breath away. It's our choice whether we embrace and savor each gift or casually brush it aside.

For me, this is the time to ask myself how I'd like to grow as a person. What old patterns would I like to overcome? What characteristics would I like to develop and strengthen? I usually have at least one thing I want to focus on in the different corners of my life ~ a physical challenge like daily walks...a mental exercise such as writing...a relational goal like spending more quality time with a friend or family member...and a spiritual resolution that may involve service or more disciplined study.

This year, my husband and I have discussed the idea of writing a short list of resolutions for each other. I love this idea!! I cannot wait to see what the person who knows me best dreams and aspires for me in the coming months.

Here's to a healthy, adventurous, peaceful, purposeful, blessed new year for each and every one of us!

"The Old Year has gone. Let the dead past bury its own dead. The New Year has taken possession of the clock of time. All hail the duties and possibilities of the coming twelve months!"
~Edward Payson Powell

"We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential."
~Ellen Goodman       

No comments:

Post a Comment