Monday, January 16, 2012

MY BROTHER'S GIFT TO ME

"As long as I live, I'll hear waterfalls and birds and winds sing. I'll interpret the rocks, learn the language of flood, storm, and the avalanche. I'll acquaint myself with the glaciers and wild gardens, and get as near the heart of the world as I can."
~ John Muir

I love the great outdoors. From the imposing rugged mountain peaks to the golden coastline, nature speaks to me a language all its own. It draws me in and challenges me with its raw and ever-changing beauty. It calms my spirit when I am weary and troubled. It refreshes and invigorates me when I am feeling weak and unmotivated. It renews my hope when I am having a bad day.

When I am outside, I long to soak it all in. My senses come alive. I love the feel of the warm sunshine on crisp winter days. There is so much to see and meditate on. Every day my eyes fall on a new beauty just waiting to be recognized and celebrated. I NEVER take music outside with me, and honestly, I cannot understand those who do. There is a chorus of music playing sweet tunes if I will only pause and listen. I love that I can hear the birds greeting the day with song as I open my eyes and do the same.

Today I celebrate the person from my childhood who helped me develop and nurture my love for nature ~ my brother. So many of my memories growing up were of him instilling in me an appreciation and respect for the great outdoors. What a gift he gave me! It is an integral part of each and every day ~ whether I am able to get outside and revel in its glory, or simply watch out my window. I am always drawn...intrigued...and blessed to be a witness to the greatest show on earth.

And to my brother I speak a thousand "thank you"s. What a treasure you gave me when you shared with me your own love for the great outdoors. It's the gift that just keeps giving as I watch my own son embracing the same passion for nature and all it has to offer.

Time for a walk! The beautiful day outside awaits me. I think I hear it calling your name, too.

"Everybody needs beauty...places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul alike." 
~John Muir

"Those who live at the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your wonders. From where the sun rises to where it sets, You inspire shouts of joy." 
~Psalm 65:8      

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to a really nice guy, Julie!
    Fred's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he is! I must say that my fondest memories of childhood always seem to include him. I could not have asked for a better big brother.

    ReplyDelete