Wednesday, January 18, 2012

MY DIET REVOLUTION

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."  ~Doug Larson

For a long time, chronic pain had me in its grip. The constant achy fatigue that consumed my body and controlled much of my life was a strong motivator. Five years ago, I revolutionized my relationship with food, desperate for a reprieve from the pain.

An acquaintance of mine shared her close friend's experience with treating fibromyalgia through diet. I was intrigued. I had firmly resisted my doctor's nudges to begin a pharmaceutical approach to treating  my condition. I didn't like the idea of putting unknown chemicals into my body. The possible side effects sounded worse than the actual condition!

But a diet I could do ~ especially one that held the possibility of allowing me to live pain-free. I won't go into great detail here about what the diet entailed. For the most part, it was an organic, unproccessed diet that removed sugar, white flour, red meat, alcohol, most dairy, carbonation, artificial sweeteners, and any form of hormones. The premise was to get more of a balance between acid and alkaline intake. Most of what we consume is acidic in nature. Reducing this level and raising the alkalines is believed by some to promote better health.

The first week on my diet was a blur. My body and mind experienced withdrawal as my body continued to produce a high level of insulin that my previous diet had required. This insulin overload had me spinning ~ literally! I was shaky, disoriented, weak, and very sore.

Things began to improve after the first week. It was a slow process, but gradually the fog began to lift. After about eight weeks, it vanished, and I began to feel like a new woman. Within six months, my aches and pains were gone. My energy was at an all time high. I could think more clearly. My mood was brighter. I was able to do things I had avoided for years. And my immune system was vastly improved ~ colds, flus, etc. that used to frequent my body became a thing of the past.

I stayed on this diet faithfully for two years. At that point, I was told I could begin to re-introduce certain foods, one at a time. I continued to enjoy the same good health even though I was introducing different foods back into my diet.

Today I find myself back at that place of achiness, fatigue, and a foggy mind. I realize I have let myself slip back into unhealthy eating. It's time to re-address the whole food issue, and return to my good-health diet.

Why do I think I am rewarding myself when I reach for the cookie tin...or the piece of bread...or my favorite ~ the frapuccino? I am really sabotaging my own health. That is no reward! In fact, it's self-injurious.

If you are my friend, will you please be a friend and help hold me accountable? I've got this one life, and I want to enjoy it to the fullest. For me, that's not about feeding my cravings and indulging ~ it's about loving myself enough to take good care of my body so I can live with less pain, more energy, and a more joyful spirit.

If you're curious about my diet and want to know more, let me know. I will happily share it with you!

"The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Excerise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling."
~Nursery Rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields

"Doctors are always working to preserve our health and cooks to destroy it, but the latter are more often successful."  ~Denis Diderot

"In order to change we must be sick and tired of being sick and tired." 
~Author Unknown         

No comments:

Post a Comment