Tuesday, January 3, 2012

MY MOM

"Pay close attention, friend, to what your father tells you; never forget what you learned at your mother's knee. Wear their counsel like flowers in your hair, like rings on your fingers."
~Proverbs 1:8,9 The Message

Today is my mom's eighty-eighth birthday. I don't think she will mind me sharing her age...perhaps because she wears it so well! For as long as I can remember, my mom has been one of those people who naturally looks and acts much younger than her actual age.

After being widowed for twenty years, my mom got remarried. She was eighty years old when she became a bride for the second time. It has been fun for me to watch her building a new life with her husband Tom. They share the same passions for travelling, horse races, and fine dining. My stepdad has taken over as head chef in their household, and he greets my mom each morning with fresh squeezed orange juice and some tasty morsels he's cooked up.

Their lives together are a gift. They are blessed with a second chance to love deeply and enjoy life together. I am blessed to watch them. As my parenting days come to a close, my mom's life inspires me to look to the future with renewed hope and joyful anticipation for all it will hold.

I am thankful that I can enter this new chapter in my life story with my husband and close companion. It makes me admire and respect my mom all the more for her own life, so well-lived, even when she walked it alone.

Happy Birthday, Mom. You have been so much more than a mother to me. You've been my mentor, my role model, my cheerleader, my teacher, my counselor, my friend. My life is so much richer because of you.

"Mother, the ribbons of your love are woven around my heart."
~Author Unknown      

1 comment: