Sunday, January 22, 2012

MY SISTER, MY FRIEND

"`To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time."
~Clara Ortega

I was thrilled when my niece shared that her second child will be another little girl. My immediate thoughts were of her daughter Annie Grace, and the gift she will be receiving. Is there any relationship like the one between sisters? Sure, they can drive each other crazy at times. And what sisters haven't had their share of fights? But in the long run, a good sister is a rare treasure...more precious than gold.

I know. My sister is living proof. Although there is a five year gap in our ages, people have often asked us if we are twins. We walk alike, we talk a like...sometimes we even think alike. We look alike and we dream alike. We share many of the same interests and passions. While this can create a tone of strife and competition in some sibling relationships, that has not been our experience. Just the opposite ~ my sister is my dearest friend, my closest confidante, and my sage counselor who I can call 24/7. She cheers me up, hears me out, and calms me down. She inspires me to be my best ~ to think...to grow...to learn...and to face any challenge with faith, hope, and courage.

My sister is my biggest source of unconditional love and acceptance. She knows all of my deepest secrets, my greatest regrets, and my many flaws. Yet she is always there for me, embracing and supporting me. On a lighter note, my sister brings out my silly side. No one can make me laugh to the point of tears like she can.

My sister is also my faith-sister, a gift I cherish. Her prayers have moved more mountains on my behalf than either of us knows. Her daily round is a powerful testimony of what it means to walk closely with God, and she challenges me to do the same by how she lives her own life.

If you have a sister, I hope she means as much to you as my sister means to me. If you don't have a sibling you are close to, I hope you have a friend who's as close as a sister. As for me, my best friend and my sister are one and the same.

"A sister is a forever friend."  ~Author Unknown

"A sister shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams."  ~Author Unknown

"In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips."  ~Author Unknown

"There is no better friend than a sister. And there is no better sister than you."  ~Author Unknown         

1 comment: