Saturday, February 11, 2012

APPLES TO APPLES

"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer was as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone." ~Bjarne Stroustrup

"What is so smart about these SmartPhones?" I asked myself as my husband and I browsed through the store. Both of us needed to replace our old, antiquated phones. We had no intention of upgrading to smartphones. All we needed were phones that could make calls and send text messages. But all that lined the display counters and walls were different versions of the smarthphones and their many accessories.

We talked it over as we waited for our name to be called. Maybe a smartphone would be the "smart" choice. We plan to do some extensive cross-country travelling in the near future. Having features like the internet and the GPS sounded more and more appealing. By the time our name was called, all that was needed was for the sales rep to use a small dose of his ammo to help us make up our minds. An hour later, we were out the door with our smartphones in tote.

When we got home, we examined our purchases more carefully. Now what?? We were in over our heads and we knew it. We began to play around with our new devices, excited each time we were able to figure out one of their many features. But we were only scratching the surface.

Today we attended a class that covered the basics on our new phones. We learned a lot during those sixty minutes, but one of the main lessons we took away from the class is how much we have yet to learn if we want to get the most out of our smartphones. This truth sank in deeply when the teacher wasn't able to show us how to use certain features!

When we got home, I noticed my Bible on the coffee table, waiting to be opened. As I looked at my Bible, I thought about my smartphone and my limited knowledge on how to use it. The same thing holds true on a much larger scale with God and His Word. If I spent every waking hour attending classes and studying about God and the Bible, I would only begin to scratch the surface in my knowledge of Him. I think God designed us this way. If we could attain all the knowledge we wanted ABOUT Him, we wouldn't actually need HIM. The mystery and the unknowns feed our relationship with Him and our hunger for more of Him in our daily lives. God, in His goodness, teaches and reveals to us what we need to know at every given moment. Our part is to show up to "class", and pay attention to our Teacher.

Am I glad I got a smartphone? You bet! But I am so thankful I don't need a smartphone to stay connected to the One who matters most. He is always there...always picks up...always answers when we call. A smartphone can't hold a candle to His service. The truth is, man will never be able to create any device that will even come close to the knowledge, wisdom, and power of our God. Let's not forget ~ He did create the first "apple"!

"If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger."
~Frank Lloyd Wright

"Upon the creatures we have made, we are, ourselves, at last, dependent."
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Look at the night skies: Who do you think made all this? Who marches this army of stars out each night, counts them off, calls each by name ~ so magnificent! so powerful! ~ and never overlooks a single one?...Don't you know anything? Haven't you been listening? God doesn't come and go. God lasts. He's Creator of all you can see or imagine. He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath. And he knows everything, inside and out."
Isaiah 40: 26, 28 The Message
  

No comments:

Post a Comment