Sunday, February 19, 2012

BIRTHDAY GIRL

"A mother's treasure is her daughter." ~Catherine Pulsifer

It was only weeks after our wedding day that I realized I was expecting. With two stepsons in tow, I prayed for a little girl. Why not be more specific, I thought, so I asked God for a daughter with red hair.

She arrived three weeks early ~ a beautiful, healthy, eight and a half pound girl with a head full of radiant red hair. The name we'd chosen was a perfect fit for our Irish cherub ~ Kelly Shannon.

Today, Kelly is all I ever hoped for in a daughter, and more. She is intelligent, passionate, tender-hearted, hard-working, intuitive, strong, and wise beyond her years. She has nestled into the career of her choice, doing what she loves ~ working with dogs and cats as a vet's assistant. Soon she will be walking down the aisle to begin a new chapter in her life with the man who is a perfect match for her.

Happy twenty-fifth birthday, Kelly. You occupy a large part of my heart that is yours and yours alone. You are my answer to prayer ~ my only daughter ~ my dearest of friends. Life is sweeter...richer...fuller...because of you.

"A daughter is a mother's gender partner, her closest ally in the family confederacy, an extension of her self." ~Author Unknown

"All the dreams I prayed you'd be,
Are all the things you are.
You were once my little girl,
And now my shining star."
~Author Unknown          

No comments:

Post a Comment