Monday, February 20, 2012

TIME WELL SPENT

"As a deer longs for a stream of cool water, so I long for you, O God." 
~Psalm 42:1

Who brings out the best in you? On good days, my list can seem endless. Other days, it feels as though everyone is rubbing me the wrong way. But there are certain people I can go to when I have a specific need. For a pep talk, my sister tops my list. If I am in need of a good laugh, I gravitate towards the person in our family whose mood is the most jovial. I cannot count the number of times my son or daughter has cheered me up when my spirits were low.

But there is One who so radically impacts me when I am with Him, it is hard NOT to walk away changed whenever we meet. The flipside is that I suffer dearly (as do the people around me!) when I haven't had my daily fix. When I neglect to spend quality time with God, the evidence is deafening.

May I paint a picture of what I am like on the days I let God get squeezed out of my schedule? It's not pretty, but here goes ~ I am more irritable, impatient, self-absorbed, depressed, discouraged, fearful, anxious, materialistic, skeptical, cynical, isolated, critical, judgmental, prideful, demanding, wasteful, lethargic, unproductive, easily swayed, doubtful, purposeless, negative, worrisome, stressed, restless, insecure, and unappreciative. I am less content. I magnify my problems. I lose my sense of awe and wonder. I take people and things for granted. I find myself thinking...saying...doing things that are unhealthy. I beat myself up.

Do you see why I run to God?? And why I am miserable when I don't? Even if you don't share my faith, or you believe but don't seek a close walk with God, I am betting you can see why it's so important to me. It's not about a legalistic "have-to-do" mindset ~ just the opposite! It's about the freedom I experience when I run to His throne.

It's foolish for me to neglect my time with God. Even on the days when I don't feel like it (and there are many!), it is so worth it to press through those feelings and go to God anyway. He already knows and understands. I may not have a warm, fuzzy attitude as I approach Him, but I know I will be freed up from some...if not all...of those ugly qualities.

I have got to run ~ my Friend is waiting, and boy, do I need Him today!

"Time spent with God is time well spent." ~Author Unknown

"Begin your day seeking Him,
Go through your day serving Him,
End your day thanking Him."
~Author Unknown

"We can be tired, weary and emotionally distraught, but after spending time alone with God, we find that He injects into our bodies energy, power and strength."
~Charles Stanley

"Spending time with God is the key to our strength and success in all areas of life. Be sure that you never try to work God into your schedule, but always work your schedule around Him."
~Joyce Meyer

"Of all the things Christ wants for us, loving Him and focusing our attention on Him are the most important."
~Charles Stanley
           

No comments:

Post a Comment