Wednesday, March 28, 2012

ALONG CAME MAGGIE

It's been almost six months since our dog Nathan passed away ~ six quiet months. A part of me wanted to find another canine companion right away. Another part refused. I had my reasons for resisting the whole idea. For the first time in our married life, my husband and I were FREE...free to come and go without having to think about kids or dogs,along with their schedules and needs. I no longer had to rise at the crack of dawn to walk a dog. Sleeping a little later in the morning felt delicious and decadent. But my main reason for hesitating was that I couldn't imagine replacing my dear sidekick Nathan. I was still mourning.

I decided if God wanted me to have another dog, He'd have to drop the critter into my lap...literally. When my husband's birthday gift to me was his blessing to go and get another dog, I put it off. Somehow, it didn't meet that criteria. I glanced at a few rescue sites, but felt no compulsion to follow through.

A week and a half ago, I got a call from a friend and fellow doxie-lover. She'd stumbled onto a little female doxie that was in need of a good home. Would I come and see her for myself? Why not, I thought. It never hurts to look.

Later that day, my husband, daughter and I were driving home with our new dog curled up on my lap. I was excited...and nauseous...and stunned. We all were.

So much for freedom...and sleeping in. I now have a needy, affectionate, energetic little girl named Maggie Mae. She'd been found wandering the streets with no collar or chip and an injured leg. A trip to the vet revealed she'd been hit by a car. We don't know why she was wandering around with no identification. The theory is that she was dropped off in a nice neighborhood, perhaps with the hopes that she'd find a good home. The first time I saw her, I saw a confused, upset, lost little soul who was crying out for one thing ~ love.

I guess God wanted me to have another dog, for He quite literally dropped her into my lap ~ and into my life. Welcome home, Maggie Mae.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." 
~Roger Caras       

No comments:

Post a Comment