Thursday, March 29, 2012

GOOD DOG, MAGGIE

"The average dog has one request to all humankind: Love me."
~Helen Exley

"I don't need this!" My patience was worn to a thread. This spunky little canine was getting the better of me. Her refusal to relieve herself outside coupled with her latest accomplishment of chewing through the baby gate had me frustrated. When I caught her on the arm of our couch sipping coffee from my mug, I snapped. "Bad dog!"

Her reaction told me she'd already experienced her fair share of harsh discipline. She ran to the kitchen and curled up in the corner, whimpering and shaking. My heart softened. I have no idea what she's experienced in her little life, but I wasn't about to add to her misery. "Maggie, we have to learn to get along, and you need to learn to behave." She wagged her tail cautiously, then proceeded to the breakfast nook for a quick potty break. Oh well...

We will have to go through our share of clean-ups and scoldings. But how can I not hang in there with this otherwise adorable little four-legged creature? Afterall, I have caused my Father countless moments of grief over my behavior. And He lovingly corrects me, never once turning His back on me. Can I treat her any differently than I want to be treated?

Thankfully, we all got a good night's sleep. Maggie's whines didn't begin until seven this morning. Maybe today she will start to learn where to pee and what not to chew. And maybe, just maybe, my patience will remain intact when she crosses the line. In the meantime, she's curled up on her bed, sleeping peacefully. Good dog, Maggie!

"You can get aggravated with your pets and yell at them, but in a matter of minutes they are licking your hand again in love."
~Sylvia Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment