Monday, April 30, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS

"Dream more. Complain less. Listen more. Talk less. Love more. Argue less. Hope more. Fear less. Relax more. Worry less. Believe more. Doubt less. Play more. Work less."
~ Author Unknown

Some seasons are chock-full of loss. The shifts and changes going on inside and around us can throw off our emotional equilibrium, leaving us spinning. Can any good come out of these dark seasons? The answer is a resounding YES! There is a world of good that can arise from the ashes. If we hold on tight and ride out the storm, the beauty that awaits us can be so bright, it's blinding.

How do I know? Because I've been there. And I'm there now. But this time, as my life feels like it's spinning out of control, I can catch glimpses of the road ahead of me. And it's good ~ it's very good. I am learning along the way that we can refuse to get consumed by the losses that shadow us. We can determine to not give in to the sadness, the weeping, the all-consuming grief. We can let it run its course without being swallowed up by the pain.

Instead, we can put our thoughts and energies onto embracing the changes and discovering all the treasures we can excavate along the way. We may not be able to control our circumstances, but we can have a huge say in how we respond. At any point in our lives, we can begin to discover and explore who we want to be and how we want to live our lives, regardless of our season in life. Today, my focus shifts to adverbs and proverbs. Remember adverbs from English class? I always think of them as words that end in "ly", but a more formal definition says, "adverbs typically express some relation of place, time, manner, attendant circumstance, degree, cause, inference, result, condition, exception, concession, purpose or means".

For the next month, I'm going to plow through my list of ADVERBS FOR LIVING, with a proverb or two sprinkled throughout. I will begin tomorrow with the adverb "BRAVELY". This new climb in my journey isn't for sissys. If I don't approach it bravely, I may give up and turn back.

How about you? Feeling brave enough to join me? Don't worry ~ you can just come along and watch from a distance. Or you can join in and trail blaze along side of me. Maybe it's not your time. Either way, I hope this gives you food for thought. The trails we encounter may be treacherous at times, but the adventures along the way will be worth it...and the views will be breathtaking.

"A manual for living...written down so we'll know how to live well and right, to understand what life means and where it's going."
Proverbs 1, The  Message

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey."
~Kenji Miyazawa

No comments:

Post a Comment