Sunday, April 29, 2012

DELIGHTED

"Most of us miss out on life's big prizes. The Pulitzer. The Nobel. Oscars. Tonys. Emmys. But we're all eligible for life's small pleasures. A pat on the back. A kiss behind the ear. A four-pound bass. A full moon. An empty parking space. A crackling fire. A great meal. A glorious sunset...Don't fret about copping life's grand awards. Enjoy its tiny delights. There are plenty for all of us."
~United Technologies Corporation Ad

I don't know about you, but I spend far too little time dwelling on the things I find delightful. My day-to-day responsibilities, problems, and routines can squeeze the "delight" right out of me. I think it's worthy of my time and attention to pause and give some thought to these things.

The writer in me insists on a list ~ Things That Delight Me. I've been amazed at how painstakingly slow the process has been to compile this list. Is it because I have neglected this part of my life? I don't know. So I take it a step further and ask my husband what delights him. His loss for words hits home, and I realize I have stumbled onto something. How many of us are out of touch with this part of our lives? When did we lose sight of the delightful?

I want to open my eyes...my ears...my mind, and tune in to these gifts. I don't have to go out for an expensive meal, travel the world, or live in a storybook home to experience delight. Everyday that I live ~ from the mundane to the celebrated moments ~ I am surrounded by opportunities to be delighted.

What delights you? How about fresh flowers on the table...the scent of rain...browsing in a book store...hiking the local trails...the sound of birds chirping in the garden...watching a sunset...rearranging a room...funny movies...holding a baby. These are just a few of mine, but you get the picture.

Here's the thing ~ life is whirling by and we won't live forever. Shouldn't we be more mindful of the things that delight us? Let's take the time to bask in them...savor them...and realize how very blessed we are.

"The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention."
~Julia Cameron

"Delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart."
~Psalm 37:4

          

No comments:

Post a Comment