Tuesday, April 24, 2012

EARTH DAY

"Nature is the art of God." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday was Earth Day. I'd like to say I celebrated it in some grandiose fashion ~ planting some trees or picking up trash on the beach. The truth is I let the day slip by with just the comment to my husband, "It's Earth Day."

I am a bit miffed at myself. The great outdoors has always been a refuge, an inspiration, and quite frankly, holy ground to me. I don't consider myself to be a tree-hugger, but I absolutely love God's creation. I have a hard time understanding the casualness in which many treat it. It makes sense that we should be good stewards and care-takers of this beautiful planet God has given us to live on and enjoy.

When I think about the amount of pleasure I have received from nature, I feel inadequate. How can I possibly give back, even a fraction of what I've been given? I don't think I can. But I can certainly be mindful of how I live my life, and make changes that will benefit our world and honor our Creator.

I encourage all of us to do the same. If you doubt that this is important to God, I challenge you to read His word on the topic. I think it saddens Him when we neglect, abuse, and mistreat this beautiful planet Earth, His glorious creation.

"Dusk and dawn take turns calling, 'Come and worship.' Oh, visit the earth, ask her to join the dance! Deck her out in spring showers, fill the God-River with Living water. Paint the wheat fields golden. Creation was made for this!"
~Psalm 65:8,9 The Message

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."
~Rachel Carson

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
~John Muir

"Keep close to nature's heart...and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~John Muir

"To stand at the edge of the sea, to sense the ebb and flow of the tides, to feel the breath of a mist moving over a great salt marsh, to watch the flight of shore birds that have swept up and down the surf lines of the continents for untold thousands of years, to see the running of the old eels and the young shad to sea, is to have knowledge of things that are as nearly eternal as any earthly life can be."
~Rachel Carson

  

No comments:

Post a Comment