Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WHO I WANT TO BE

"Live life with no regrets. Laugh at the confusion. Smile through the tears and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."
~Author Unknown

Lately I have been giving a lot of serious thought to my life and how I want to live it. Perhaps it's because I am entering into a new chapter. I am gearing myself up for some major changes during the coming year. For the first time in our married life, I will know what it means to be an empty-nester. Adding to that will likely be a change in residence. Even my career path will take a sharp turn in a new direction. There are many uncertainties looming on the horizon.

I have a choice. I can cower in fear and dread over what awaits me. Or I can jump in with both feet, arms stretched wide open, and embrace this new and very different season. I choose the latter.

When I think about it, I get excited. True, there are moments of sadness sprinkled here and there. Tears spring up out of nowhere, and I can't always tell if they are tears of sorrow or joy. But the way I see it, I am faced with an opportunity to hone in and define who I am...and who I want to be.

If I live to the age that my maternal grandma did (104), that means I still have one half of my life left. That thought alone energizes me. How do I want to spend these years? Who do I want to be? I don't have to let the first half of my life define the second half, do I?

One thing seems clear ~ much of how I live will be based on choices. And my first choice is deciding to not just coast along, maintaining status quo, going with the flow. Time's a-ticking, and I want to make the most of what I have left.

Yesterday I began a list and titled it, WHO I WANT TO BE. As the words flowed onto my paper, I began to see the possibilities. Some of the things I want to be, I already am. Others will take some serious effort. That's okay. The hardest part of any task is getting started. I've already done that.

Today, I encourage you to do the same. What do you want the rest of your life to look like? Who do you want to be? Afterall, you are the main character in your own life story. Isn't that reason enough to invest some serious thought?

Over the coming weeks, I will share what I discover as I venture into the unknown. I confess I am a bit nervous about being an open book as I press ahead. But my hope is that it will inspire you to do the same. Are you ready? Here goes....

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
~Author Unknown

"Sometimes you have to forget what's gone, appreciate what still remains, and look forward to what's coming next." 
~Author Unknown

             

No comments:

Post a Comment