Monday, May 14, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ CREATIVELY

"The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself."
~Alan Alda

Before there was Martha Stewart, there was my mom. When it came to creative homemaking, there wasn't anything my mother couldn't accomplish. No job seemed too daunting. Our home was a reflection of her passion and talent for bringing beauty to the ordinary. She wore her measuring tape around her neck like a scarf, always handy for whatever projects the day held. If it wasn't furniture, it was new curtains...or a quilt for one of the beds...or a hand-stitched item to hang on the wall. But it didn't stop there. She spent countless hours producing pieces of art to donate to church and school boutiques.

I inherited my love for change from my mom. When I felt the itch for something different, my mom would let me pick out new colors for my bedroom. Then she'd paint the walls and complete the look with her flair for fabrics. If I wanted a dress for a special occasion, she'd ask me to describe what I had in mind. With her handy tape measure, she'd size me up. Days later, my new dress would be hanging in my room, a perfect fit and exact replica of my description.

Our garden showed evidence of her loving touch as well. There always seemed to be something in bloom for her to pick to grace our dining table. Presentation was a priority at mealtime. She loved to cook, and every night our table looked as if company was coming.

Despite her love for artful homemaking, my mother hated to clean. I suppose that's why I have so many memories of weekends spent cleaning our house. It also explains how I learned to love the instant gratification that comes from cleaning anything.

But how I long to be more like my mom and tap into the creative side of me that gets neglected. Especially now, in this transitional season of life, I want to explore and throw myself into creative endeavors.

Some say that life is an art. That thought inspires me. I long to excavate the creative girl in me (I know she is in there somewhere!). From cooking to gardening to decorating (and yes, writing), I want to stretch myself. I want to develop new skills and interests, and live my life creatively ~ like my mom.

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun."
~Mary Lou Cook

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."
~Thomas Moore

"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."
~Galatians 6:4,5 The Message

"Creativity is...seeing something that doesn't exist already. You need to find out how you can bring it into being and that way be a playmate with God."
~Michele Shea           

No comments:

Post a Comment