Friday, May 18, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ DILIGENTLY

"Consider the postage stamp; its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing until it gets there."
~Josh Billings

A few years ago, my father-in-law handcrafted a sign for our garden that read "GARDEN OF WEEDIN". It stated the obvious, but it was a fun artifact in our yard that sparked numerous conversations with neighbors and visitors.

These past couple of weeks we've been at it again ~ tackling those pesky weeds that seem to pop up overnight. My husband says our property is a weed magnet. I agree. Without a gardener to tend to these unwelcome intruders, we periodically set aside time to power-weed our garden. Each time we find ourselves pulling up these green monsters, I chide myself for not being more diligent. Why do I let it get to the point where I find myself knee-deep (okay ~ not literally, but close!) in weeds? Wouldn't weekly maintenance and care on my part be the better way?

But diligence doesn't come easily for someone like me who struggles with a bit of ADD. My mind tends to wander in a thousand different directions throughout the day if I don't reign it in. The weeds are only one of many things that go unaddressed until it gets to the point where I can't take it anymore. I have to tune out the rest of the world and throw myself into the task at hand.

My frustration with focus and attention is one of my biggest stumbling blocks. I long to be able to go about my days more diligently. Whether it's scrubbing the bathtub, working on my novel, or planning a party, I want to know the peace and satisfaction that comes with tending to my daily round diligently.

Perhaps carving out a simpler life will help me with today's aspiration...living diligently. Simplify ~ create order out of chaos ~ scale down ~ all are stepping stones to a more diligent lifestyle.

"Patience and diligence, like faith, remove mountains."
~William Penn

"When you discipline yourself to do what is hard, you gain access to a realm of results that are denied everyone else. The willingness to do what is difficult is like having a key to a special private treasure room."
~Steve Pavlina

"If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never give up."
~Norman Vincent Peale

"She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth, diligent in homemaking."
~Proverbs 31, The Message

"The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground."
~Author Unknown        

No comments:

Post a Comment