Tuesday, May 15, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ EXPECTANTLY

"Do not earnestly remember the former things; neither consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it, and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."
~Isaiah 43:18,19

Life feels like a flurry of changes right now. Some I am smack in the middle of; others I can see looming over the horizon. CHANGE ~ I usually love that word. I thrive on changing little bits and pieces of my life...rearranging a room, tackling a project that is way out of my comfort zone, even moving to a new home excites me. Then there's the inward change. I am always humbled and so grateful when I reflect back and see how I have changed, hopefully for the better. I know I cannot take credit. I am only a willing participant in the hands of the One who can change anything ~ even me.

The downside to change is that it's often accompanied with painful goodbyes. This is the type of change I can find myself dreading. And this is the change that awaits me.

I love it when I am given a passage of Scripture more than once in the course of a day. It's like a treasured gift that I hold close to my heart, certain it was written with me in mind. When I fell upon the words from Isaiah 43 the other day, they jumped off the page and into my soul. Since then, I have stumbled on them two more times. I get it...I am listening.

This season feels like a walk in the unknown wilderness. I feel as if I am beginning a long hike through a dry and scorching desert wasteland. I find myself mourning what used to be. I shake my head in wonder at how fast it went by ~ those sweet memories of carpools, and park days, and bedtime stories make me yearn to turn back the clock.

In the midst of my sadness and uncertainty, God whispers, "It's okay." He tells me to stop dwelling on what used to be; stop living in the past. He's creating a new chapter in my life. He is nudging me to open my eyes and look around. It's right in front of me.  And those places that feel so barren are just temporary. He has already gone ahead of me, paving the way through the rugged wilderness and the stretches of desert that lay before me.

My husband often warns me about self-fulfilling prophecy. He says I bring to life my own worst fears when I expect bad things to happen. I agree. From here on, I want to live expectantly ~ believing that our future is bright and expecting wonderful things to unfold. This trek in the wilderness, this parched desert season won't last forever. God is doing a new thing! Therein lies my comfort...and my peace.

"There is abundant reason to believe that optimism ~ big, little, and in between ~ is useful to a person because positive expectations can be self-fulfilling."
~Christopher Peterson

"Excellence is the Result of Caring more than others think is Wise, Risking more than others think is Safe, Dreaming more than others think is Practical, and Expecting more than others think is Possible."
~Ronnie Oldham            

No comments:

Post a Comment