Thursday, May 17, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ FREELY

She was in prison. She sat alone in her small cell, day after day. Her only companions were her thoughts, her regrets, and her fears. Her head hung low with shame. She figured she deserved to be there, and she assumed her sentence was permanent.

One day, she heard a voice whisper her name. Curious, she looked up. The door to her cell was wide open. Next to it stood a man dressed in white. He spoke her name again.

"Who are you? How long have you been standing there?" she asked, not quite sure if she believed what she was seeing.

I'm your Liberator. I've been here since the day you arrived. I've been speaking your name, but this is the first time you listened." He smiled at the woman, and gestured for her to join him outside the cell.

"You've been here all along? I'm confused. Why didn't I see you until now? How is it that I didn't hear you? Are you telling me I get to leave?" As she spoke, she thought perhaps he was a figment of her imagination. Maybe she was going crazy.

"You didn't look up, so you couldn't see me. And you were too preoccupied with your thoughts in your head to hear me. But I've been waiting...waiting to set you free." He held out his hand.

She stood up and walked slowly toward him, weak from her confinement. "Why didn't you come in and get me? I've been sitting here a long time."

"You weren't ready, or you would have looked up and seen me. If I came in and got you, you would have ended up back in this cell. Today you are ready to be free...really free."

She took the hand he offered her, and together they walked out of the dark and confining space. The sunlight was bright, but felt so soothing and healing on her tired, weary spirit. "Thank you!" It seemed inadequate, but she had no other way to show her gratitude.

He smiled at her. The look on his face spoke volumes ~ he was just as excited as she that this day had finally arrived. He had longed to liberate her since the moment she was imprisoned. And now she was free ~ truly free.

Yes, this is a story. But it's also true. Many of us remain imprisoned by regrets, self-doubt, worry, loneliness, anxiety, discouragement. The list of things that can paralyze us is endless.

But there's a Liberator. He's standing at the door...whispering our names, waiting patiently until we are ready to look up and respond to his voice. The door to our freedom is wide open. All we have to do is walk through it.

Freely ~ this is how I choose to live my life. How about you? There's a beautiful world out there, just waiting for you. Take his hand, and step into freedom.

"When the Son sets you free, you are free indeed."
~John 8:36

"Wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."
~2 Corinthians 3:17

"If you want to be free, just start doing what God wants you to do, one step at a time, and you'll eventually walk out of your messes."
Joyce Meyer

"Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits you."
~Sarah Breathnach
     

No comments:

Post a Comment