Wednesday, May 9, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ JOYFULLY

"Joy springs from within. No one makes you joyous; you choose joyfulness."
~Author Unknown

Call it a good cry...an emotional explosion...a sob fest. Whatever you name it, I had a full-blown one recently. All of the built-up stresses, worries, and negative emotions I was harboring broke free. I cried harder than I have in years. I moaned and wailed. And there was nothing I could do to stop the outburst. I wondered what the neighbors must be thinking, for surely the volume at which I was crying had to penetrate the walls and enter into their realm of hearing. When I was done, a blanket of damp tissues surrounded my exhausted body. But I was free.

The day to day stuff of life can take its toll. If you are like me, you can keep it locked away for days...weeks...months...even years. But I certainly don't recommend that. Stuffing the toxic emotions can zap our ability to experience joy. And who doesn't want a more joyful life?

From now on, I'm giving myself permission to have a regular weep session. As much as I hate the swollen eyes and congested head that follows, I want to start seeing this as a healthy release and detox myself of the junk that's built up inside me. For me, this also means a complete surrender to the One who longs to carry my every burden.

The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy ~ and guess what he's after ~ our joy! I don't want to be robbed of that pleasure anymore. I want to live my life joyfully ~ moment by moment, day by day.

Let's take a stand against this thief. Yes, life is going to have its rough spots. Some will be downright painful. That's okay. It's a part of life. But when they hit, we can take the path to freedom. We can let it all out...surrender it to God...and move on to all the good that awaits us. Just knowing this gives me reason to jump for joy.

"Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God."
~Robert Schuller

"You have to sniff out joy. Keep your nose to the joy trail."
~Buffy Sainte-Marie

"Joy is untouched by circumstances."
~Author Unknown

"Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning."
~Psalm 30:5

"In Your presence is fullness of joy."
~Psalm 16:11 

      

1 comment:

  1. I love how God patiently sits with us, holding our spiritual hands as we cry and lament; then picks us up, sets us on the foundation of His love, and gives the us the nudge toward the peace and joy we need to move forward.

    ReplyDelete