Wednesday, May 16, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ KINDLY

"Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you ~ not because they are nice, but because you are."
~Author Unknown

Until last night, I was a bit blind to how lacking I am in this subject. I enjoy doing random acts of kindness. And I try to live by the golden rule. But last night it really sunk in how unkind I can be, especially in my speech.

My husband was sharing about an experience he'd had at work with a customer. He was explaining in detail to my daughter and me how the enounter had played out. To refresh my memory about similar conversations he'd had with this person, he retold events I could clearly remember. I rather impatiently rolled my eyes as if to say, "Come on, come on...get to the point."

"Geez Mom. That was rude!" I was busted. I didn't intend to be rude...or unkind...or impatient. But that's exactly how I was behaving. When my husband looked at our daughter with a big THANK YOU written all over his face, the truth sank in to my head, then down to my heart. I was acting unkindly, and I got called on it. It didn't feel good at the time, but I am so glad she opened my eyes up to how I was coming across.

I've been thinking about it all morning. The bottom line is this ~ I want to go about my days living kindly...especially with the people who mean the most to me. Why is it that the people we love the dearest often get the worst from us??

I don't think I will have a magical tranformation overnight. But I can say that my perspective and attitude about acting kindly has evolved overnight...thanks to my daughter who loves me enough to call me on it when she sees something in me she knows I don't like.

Today, I am going to pay close attention to what I say and the tone in which I say it. I'm going to try to be aware of the expressions on my face and the body language I am using. And maybe, just maybe, today I will live my day a little more kindly.

"Don't be yourself ~ be someone a little nicer."
~Mignon McLaughlin

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
~Mark Twain

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness."
~Seneca

"To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error."
~Liz Armbruster

"How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it!"
~George Elliston

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
~Author Unknown

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
~Colossians 3:12

"Worry can rob you of happiness, but kind words will cheer you up."
~Proverbs 12:25

"When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly."
Proverbs 31:26, The Message
       

2 comments:

  1. Jules,

    It is such a privilege to read your heart and words. I don't comment very much. However, this is such a life lesson for all of us.
    Thank you for posting and thank you for being REAL!!!!! I love and honor our friendship!
    KEEP WRITING!!! It is making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement, Kim! It's not always easy to be so transparent, but I keep thinking if one person benefits, then it is so worth it. By the way, I feel the same about our friendship. You are a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete