Thursday, May 17, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ ORDERLY

"Order is the shape upon which beauty depends."
~Pearl S. Buck

I had a dream that I was on a journey, travelling to some unknown land. While I was thrilled to be visiting new places, I was equally frustrated by all of my luggage. I had brought so many things with me, much of which I knew I wouldn't need or use. But there it was, my constant companion ~ slowing me down, demanding my attention, causing me grief. I remember at one point, looking at all of the stuff piled next to me in utter frustration. I wondered anxiously how I'd ever get it checked into Baggage, and how I'd deal with it upon arrival. I was too exhausted and drained by my possessions to enjoy my getaway.

When I woke up, I was relieved to be occupying my own bed, with no luggage to wrestle onto a plane. But as I got up and went about my morning, the dream followed me. Everywhere I looked, I saw items that I didn't need, things that required my time and attention, but gave little back in return. Sure, some were nice to look at, and others had served a purpose at one point. But now, they were a haunting reminder of all the unnecessary luggage I'd been carting around in my dream.

I'm not one to look to dreams for insights or revelations, but I'd be amiss if I didn't see the clear message here. It's time to clean house, time to scale back and bring order to my surroundings and my life.

Where and how do I begin to clear out all the unnecessary? A room? A closet? A cupboard? A drawer? Frankly, I just want it gone. If only I could wiggle my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and voila ~ it would disappear. Instead, I have to find a way to joyously jump into the task of sorting and giving away, with my eye on the prize ~ an orderly life that's freed up to spend in new, more exciting ways. Does it really matter where I start? I don't think so. It only matters that I begin the process and then persist on my path to an orderly home ~ and orderly life.

"Order is the sanity of the mind, the health of the body, the peace of the city, the security of the state. Like beams in a house or bones to a body, so is order to all things."
~Robert Southey

"What a gift of grace to be able to take the chaos from within and from it create some semblance of order."
~Katherine Paterson

"Order is a lovely thing; on disarray it lays its wings, teaching simplicity to sing."
~Anna Branch

"For He is not a God of confusion and disorder but of peace and order."
~1 Corinthians 14:33

     

No comments:

Post a Comment