Thursday, May 3, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ SIMPLY

"I believe we would be happier to have a personal revolution in our individual lives and go back to simpler living and more direct thinking. It is the simple things of life that make living worthwhile, the sweet fundamental things such as love and duty, work and rest and living close to nature."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Simplify ~ it's one of my themes for this year. I don't think I'm alone. Many of us are realizing we've allowed our lives to become far too complicated, cluttered, and overbooked. Simplify ~ that word flows through me like a breath of fresh air.

I long to get to the place where the things I possess, don't possess so much of me...where I'm freed up from many of the daily demands on my time and my wallet. Too much of what consumes my hours and my dollars doesn't mean all that much in the long run. So I press on in my goal ~ simplify.

One of my favorite vacations is camping. I know...some of you hear that word and immediately you cringe. You think about the dirt, the climate, the hard ground to sleep on, public restrooms, no showers, and a host of other unpleasantries. I get it. There's a lot about camping that can turn many people off.

I think it's the part of me longing for simpler living that finds so much to love about pitching a tent in the great outdoors. For me, camping is the epitome of living simply. When I am camping, the things of this world that place their demands on me fade to the back recesses of my mind. The beauty of my surroundings dulls the worries and cares of my daily existence. It's a time for quiet reflection and wholesome adventure. I find myself redefining what I want versus what I need. I am removed from the hustle and bustle, freed up to relax. My senses come alive. Everything tastes better. I can abandon my daily rituals of showers, clean clothes, and make-up. Comfort overrides style.

Unless I want to begin a nomadic life (and some days I do), I need to find ways to tap into these blessings in my own home. I shouldn't have to make a reservation at a National Park and load up my car with my camping gear in order to enjoy a simpler lifestyle.

Clearly, this won't happen overnight. But I am taking baby steps to get to where I want to be. How about you? A simpler life awaits us if we want it.

"To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter...to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring ~ these are some of the rewards of a simple life."
~John Burroughs

"Beware the barrenness of a busy life."
~Socrates

"Better is little with the reverent, worshipful fear of the Lord than great and rich treasure and trouble with it."
~Proverbs 15:16          

No comments:

Post a Comment